Places to visit in Jaisalmer make a perfect choice for holiday lovers for the summer season. Many people visit Jaisalmer to explore various ancient temples, beautiful lakes, and flashy markets. It is a gateway to the Thar Desert and it is world-famous for yellow stone architectural works named “Sonar Quila”.
There are tens of places to visit in Jaisalmer which makes it the best destination for the summer holidays. Here is the brief information about Jaisalmer tourist places along with details like timing, entry fee, and main highlights of the different places to visit in Jaisalmer for tourists.
Things to do in Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer places to visit are the most beautiful and colorful cities of Rajasthan. Every year, visitors from all over the world explore its charms and essence. The official language spoken in Jaisalmer is Marwari but Hindi and English also work. The natives of Jaisalmer are friendly and love to guide you about different places to visit in Jaisalmer. The locals take pride in their culture and heritage.
Other than enjoying Rajasthani cuisine and sightseeing, there are many activities to do in Jaisalmer which tourists should not miss. Some of them are listed below:
- Boating– It is one of the famous Jaisalmer tourist activities. The fee for boating in the Lake is around Rs 100 per person for 2 seat peddlers and Rs 200 per 4 persons with 4 seat peddlers. Lakes of Jaisalmer open mostly from 8 am to 8 pm. Boating in Jaisalmer is one of the best ways to spend quality time with your dear ones.
- Camel safari– This is one of the must try things to do in Jaisalmer. Safari in moonlight will leave memorable moments. People who came for places to visit in Jaisalmer tend to not miss this at all. The fare for camel safari starts around Rs 1000 for a camel ride during sunset. The packages of camel safari from sunrise to sunset starts from Rs 1600 that can go up to Rs 2000 depending on the time of the month.
- Shop Hopping– Jaisalmer is famous for its authentic artifacts and folk arts by the local craftsmen. There are many marketing places to visit in Jaisalmer for shopping for loved ones and to visualize the true colors of India. There are tons of Jaisalmer tourist places which are a heaven for shopaholics. Some of them are Bhatia Bazaar, Sadar Bazaar, Sonaron ka Bazaar, Pansari Bazaar, and Manak Chowk.
How to reach Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer is not directly connected to any airways. The nearest airport located is nearly 300 km away, located at Jodhpur. Many private and deluxe bus services are available to reach Jaisalmer from any part of India.
Best season to visit Jaisalmer
Rajasthan is the hot state in India. Thus, preferably plan a trip to Jaisalmer during November to March. That’s when the climate in Jaisalmer is devoid of intense rainfall or scorching heat.
Jaisalmer tourist places
To know the true essence and beauty of Rajasthani culture and traditions, there are many places to visit in Jaisalmer for Indians and foreigners. Jaisalmer is famous for its authentic artifacts and folk arts by the local craftsmen of India. It can bring out the incredible India that every foreign tourist must experience.
Some places in Jaisalmer might charge Rs 1300 per DSLR camera. The whole city is well-known for its vibrant markets, traditional cuisine, warm people, and beautiful places. Here is the list of various places to visit in Jaisalmer for families and couples.
It is one of the famous places to visit in Jaisalmer. Standing elegantly on the India Pakistan border, it is commonly known as “Sonar Quila”. The reason behind the name of this fort is the use of yellow stones for its architecture.
This massive structure is surrounded by double fortified walls. Jaisalmer Fort is situated on Trikuta Hill which represents examples of Islamic and Rajput architecture. There are a total of four gateways to reach the main fort.
This fort is famous for its sunset view. It offers one of the aesthetic views to enjoy during the summer holidays in Jaisalmer. Many shops and food stalls are present in the premises of the fort to enjoy shopping and local authentic Rajasthani cuisine. It is one of the most beautiful among Jaisalmer places to visit for tourists.
- Jaisalmer fort opens at 9 am and closes around 6 pm.
- The entry fees to visit this fort is Rs 50 for Indians and Rs 250 for foreigners.
- The charges for photography and videography are Rs 50 and Rs 100 respectively.
- You can find facilities of shopping and eating inside the fort itself.
This lake is considered to be one of the best Jaisalmer places to visit for tourists. The main highlights of Gadisar Lake are bird watching along with its boat rides.
There is a temple adjacent to this lake that is of importance with respect to local culture. Along with sightseeing and boating, visitors can also enjoy the soothing ambiance of the lake which will rejuvenate from all the hustles.
- Fees for boating in the Gadisar Lake are Rs 100 per person for 2 seat peddlers and Rs 200 per 4 persons with 4 seat peddlers.
- Gadisar Lake remains open from 8 am to 8 pm.
Many restaurants are present near the Gadisar Lake. Some famous restaurants near Gadisar Lake include Hocus Pocus, Halo Jaisalmer, Thakur Ji restaurant, and many more.
Patwon ki Haveli
It comprises five massive Havelis with a fascinating history and extraordinary construction. The Havelis are decorated with sophisticated mirror work, wall carvings, and beautiful gold texture throughout the Haveli which give it a royal touch. Because of royal construction, it attracts tourists from all over the world who travel to different places to visit in Jaisalmer.
- The entry fees to visit Patwon ki haveli are Rs 20 per person for Indian tourists and Rs 100 per person for foreign tourists.
- The additional charges for photography and videography are Rs 50 and Rs 100 respectively.
- The timing to visit Patwon ki Haveli is from 9 am to 5 pm.
To attract tourists, many restaurants are available near the Patwon ki Haveli. Some famous restaurants near Patwon ki Haveli include Chaisalmer, KB café restaurant, Tofu Restaurant, and many more.
This Mahal is a treat for the eyes. It is famous for its peacock shaped roof with a large number of balconies. It remains open throughout the week for visitors around the globe.
Moti Mahal has a brilliant design with seashell and lime plasters to give it an elegant look. It represents the beauty of Rajasthani architecture. This Mahal is the best location for photography and videography which will decorate the timelines of social media accounts.
- The timing to visit Moti Mahal is from 8 am to 6 pm.
- Entry fees for Moti Mahal are Rs 20 per person for Indian tourists and Rs 250 for foreign tourists.
- The cost of photography and videography has to be paid separately.
- The peacock shaped roof is the highlight of Moti Mahal.
In the memory of the great sage Vyas, this place has been marked as the cremation ground for Brahmins. The structure is an elegant example of Rajasthani architecture. The place received its name due to its dome structure which looks like Chhatri (Umbrella).
Vyas Chhatri is the best place to visit in Jaisalmer to enjoy the sunset with loved ones. The best time to visit Vyas Chhatri is from October to March. Tour guides are also available for different Jaisalmer places to visit to provide a better insight into the place.
- Charges of tourist guides are Rs 500 per day or they can be hired from any travel agencies.
- Tuk-Tuk or cab services are available for pick and drop services from the hotel to the Vyas Chhatri.
- There are many restaurants near the spot like the Trio, Green Park Restaurant, Café the Kaku, Gaji’s Restaurant, and so on.
- Vyas Chhatri is open throughout the day from 8 am to 7:30 –pm.
- The entry fee is Rs 100 per person and extra Rs 100 for cameras and mobile phones.
The Thar Museum
This museum offers authentic and traditional folk art. It captures the beauty and tradition of Rajasthan under one roof. The museum has various documents of Jaisalmer’s history, old coins, postcards, and ancient weapons which were used in the wars.
The authentic folk arts will bring the true colors, essence, and beauty of Rajasthan which makes it the best choice among Jaisalmer tourist places for visitors. It remains open throughout the week for tourists.
- The timing to visit the Thar Museum is from 9 am to 6 pm.
- The entry fees of the Thar Museum are Rs 40 for Indian citizens and Rs 70 for foreign citizens.
This village is situated approximately at a distance of 20 km from the Jaisalmer town. Kuldhara village is famous for mystery and myths, according to which, it is a haunted place. It holds abandoned houses and spooky surroundings.
- This haunted village opens for visitors at 8 am and closes at 6 pm.
- Many horror stories are related to this village, therefore people are not allowed in this location after dark.
- The entry fees are Rs 10 per person and Rs 50 for entering by car.
An elegant architectural structure, Tazia tower stands with grand balconies extended 5 stories. It comes under the most famous Jaisalmer tourist places and is visited by thousands of people. Being a part of Badal Palace, it features the best of Rajput architecture with a slight Islamic touch.
- This structure is a superb mixture of Indian and Islamic architecture.
- Tazia tower opens at 8 am from 6 pm.
- There is no entry fee.
It is complex which is a combination of architectures carved over walls. Badal Palace is a splendid collaboration of Hindu and Muslim architectural styles. The time required to visit this palace is about 20-30 minutes.
This is a beautiful garden, situated almost 6 km away from the city. Bada Bagh is one of the few places where greenery can be found in this desert area. Many tombs are also present in the memory of members of royal families.
- This garden opens at 8 am and closes at 6 pm.
- The entry fees to visit Bada bagh are Rs 100 per person and Rs 100 for carrying a camera.
Tanot Mata temple
This temple was constructed near the warzone of India and Pakistan in the year 1971. The temple opens at 5 am and closes at 8 pm. As it is a religious place so no entry fee is required.
Desert Culture Centre and Museum
This museum witnesses the rich and historical tradition of Rajasthan. It explains a lot about Jaisalmer’s history. Due to its collection of ancient manuscripts and poems written by famous poets and writers of ancient times, it has been recognized as one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer for sure.
This museum also showcases weapons and utensils of ancient times.
- Entry fees for the museum are Rs 50 per person.
- The charge is Rs 50 for the puppet show and Rs 20 for carrying a camera.
It is among the spookiest Jaisalmer places to visit but it will surely provide tourists with amazing pictures. This fort is located in a desert locality. Because of its haunted stories, it has always been a center of attraction for paranormal investigators.
- Khaba fort opens at 8 am and closes at 6 pm.
- Entry fees to visit the fort are Rs 50 per person and Rs 50 for carrying a camera.
Jaisalmer sunset point
This place is one of the most loved Jaisalmer places to visit for visitors. The beautiful sunset is worth waiting for in the entire trip to Jaisalmer. It is a favorite among Jaisalmer tourist places and is visited by hundreds of people every day.
It is always advisable to reach this location approximately 1 hour before the sunset to make sure that you do not miss the memorable view of the sunset. Also, this place is crowded most of the time.
- The entry fees of sunset point are Rs 50 for Indian tourists and Rs 100 for foreign tourists.
- It remains open for tourists throughout the week.
- Timing is 10:30 am to 7 pm.
Golden streets of the Golden City
Due to golden sand, it is rightfully called the Golden city of India. The street of the city is filled with Indian culture and tradition. It is a place where the origin of India can be felt. The golden streets of the Golden city is a place to have quality time with family and loved ones.
Always prefer a photography tour to enjoy the beautiful scenes and forts of Jaisalmer. This will cost approximately Rs 1300 per person.
The Thar Desert for overnight camel safari
Also known as the Great Indian Desert, and spanning over 2,00,000 sq.km, Thar desert holds its significance both in the culture, geography, and history of India. It is the world’s 17th largest desert and 9th largest subtropical desert.
An overnight camel safari is the most exciting thing that can be experienced in the desert. A night with a cool breeze and moonlight nothing can be more enticing than this.
- The fare for camel safari starts around Rs 1000 for a camel ride during sunset.
- The packages of camel safari from sunrise to sunset starting from Rs 1600 that can go up to Rs 2000.
It is one among the oldest markets in Jaisalmer. This market is famous for its traditional silk sarees and embroidery dress materials. It is marked as a famous place to visit in Jaisalmer.
- This market is a center of attraction for foreigners because of many glittering articles, objects, and clothes.
- The market opens at 9 am and closes at 8 pm.
- Bhatia Bazaar also has a beautiful collection of mirror embroidery and woodworks.
Being one of the main markets of Jaisalmer, it sells dupattas, footwear, jewelry, carpets, and many more. The market is famous for its traditional collection of jewelry and precious stones. It opens at 10 am and closes at 6 pm.
Sonaron ka Bazaar
This market has been marked as a heaven for jewelry lovers. As the name suggests, Sonaron Ka Bazaar is famous for its silver and gold jewelry and different kinds of stones. Jewelry of different authentic designs is available here which cannot be found in any part of India.
This place is crowded during the festive season. Therefore, it is advisable to complete your shopping beforehand to avoid the crowd. It remains open from 9 am to 9 pm.
This place is commonly called Villager’s market which is famous for its authentic and traditional Rajasthani objects, handicraft, and home décor. This market opens from 10 am to 6 pm.
It is famous for its ethnic jewelry and dress material. Local artisans sell their work in this market. This place beautifully captures all colors of Rajasthan. It opens from 10 am to 8 pm. Manak Chowk is the best place to buy a souvenir for friends, family, and dear ones.
Sam Sand Dunes
A trip to Sam Sand Dunes feels like imagining yourself in the middle of the desert with a yellow sandstone architecture surrounded by beautiful dunes. Its beauty is enhanced by the glittering sun rays in the summer season. Sam Sand Dunes is an inseparable part of Jaisalmer places to visit to explore it.
- It is located at a distance of 40 km from Jaisalmer city.
- It takes an hour to reach Sam Sand Dunes from the Jaisalmer bus stand.
Places to visit near Sam Sand Dunes:
- The Khaba Fort
- Jaisalmer Desert National park
- Amar Sagar
Activities to do at Sam Sand Dunes:
Cultural events: Many cultural events are carried out around Sam Sand Dunes. Events and programs like Musical lights, folk dance, puppet shows are showcased here for the entertainment of visitors.
Camel Safari: Visiting different Jaisalmer tourist places is incomplete without a camel safari.
Parasailing: It is considered to be the most adventurous activity to view Sam Sand Dunes from above the ground at a height of 20 to 30 feet.
Enjoying the Rajasthani Cuisine: It becomes mandatory to enjoy the authentic Rajasthani food amidst the Sam Sand Dunes. Dishes like Daal Baati Churma, Mirchi Bada are the must-try.
Quad biking: If you want to explore life at Sam dunes on a four-tier motorbike, then it can be proved to be the most suitable activity.
Jaisalmer tourist places are a must-watch for everyone in India during the summer season. Every year, a large number of people come to this city to explore various ancient temples, beautiful lakes, and flashy markets. Among all these Jaisalmer tourist places; Jaisalmer Fort is the most magnificent.
The entry fees in these places vary for Indian and foreign tourists. Forts and markets are the main highlights of the trip to Jaisalmer. Some markets and food stalls are present inside the fort and some are lying around the forts.
To know the true spirit and beauty of India, Jaisalmer is a must visit. A place that will provide an unforgettable experience that tourists will cherish in their lives forever. Jaisalmer is a place where the true Indian Heritage and magnificent beauty of India can be experienced.