Indian culture and traditions always garnered global attention for all their greatness and uniqueness. India is a philosophical land. Either you visit it for the first time or the nth time, the country leaves many secrets and wonders still to be explored. Here is a compilation of Indian culture quotes, tradition quotes, and message quotes that are from renowned people all across the globe.
As you move ahead in this post of India culture quotes and tradition quotes, you discover why Indian culture is spellbinding. We have also curated the Indian culture quotes what famous people say about India. Move on and get enthralled with the glorious facts about Indian culture, the Indian culture quotes, and the Indian tradition quotes.
India culture quotes – Religious diversity in this mystical land
The very mention of India piques interest in its amazing religious diversity. Though the country has been the home of Hinduism since Vedic times, numerous religions coexist in harmony in this beautiful land.
Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, and Jains form this beautiful conglomerate. Besides, Zoroastrianism, Sanamahism, and Judaism also have their roots in India. The religious tolerance of India is what its strength is. This is also the secret behind why this land makes people of any religion at home from their heart.
The religious diversity of India gripped many prominent people. Here are some of the well-noted India religion quotes:
- “India has two million gods and worships them all. In religion all other countries are paupers; India is the only millionaire.” – Mark Twain
- “India is a country in which every great religion finds a home.”- Annie Besant
- “If India is not secular, then India is not India at all.” – Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- “India? The land of Vedas, the remarkable works contain not only religious ideas for a perfect life but also facts which science has proved true. Electricity, radium, electronics, airship, all were known to the seers who founded the Vedas.” – Wheeler Wilcox
- “You’d have to be brain dead to live in India and not be affected by Hinduism. It’s not like Christianity in America, where you feel it only on Sunday mornings? If you go to church at all. Hinduism is an on-going daily procedure. You live it, you breathe it.” – Marcus Leatherdale
- “India is a curious place that still preserves the past, religions, and its history. No matter how modern India becomes, it is still very much an old country.”– Anita Desai
- “India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator.” -Winston Churchill
8. ” I really appreciate the India secular values, irrespective of religion, such as honesty, karuna (compassion), and ahimsa (non-violence). ” – His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama on his 86th birthday.
Indian Culture Quotes – Cow worship and traditions quotes
For foreigners, India is a land that can fascinate and create curiosity. Trust us, but this is true in every essence.
For instance, Indians treat cows as sacred as a Goddess. Why? The cow is an abode of 33 crores of Hindu Gods. And to realize this, one has to know the secrets of Hinduism and the science behind Hinduism. Cow dung, urine, and milk are treated very sacredly in India.
Modern researches also proved that cow dung is the strongest antiseptic. Cow urine is potent enough to cure cancer and prevent hazardous infections.
Right from the tradition of sweeping the house front and adoring it with colorful rangoli, Indian culture has many mesmerizing health secrets hidden in it.
The Westerners and the rest of the world have always been in love with the science that is behind such Indian traditions and culture. You must have already noticed that many cultural quotes of India reflect the science and the traditions of this wonderful land.
Given below are Indian culture quotes and India tradition quotes that are not made by Indians but by foreigners who recognized the greatness of Indian culture and traditions:
- “India was the motherland of our race, and Sanskrit the mother of Europe’s languages: she was the mother of our philosophy; mother, through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics; mother, through the Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity; mother, through the village community, of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of us all.” – Will Durant
- “I like the evening in India, the one magic moment when the sun balances on the rim of the world, and the hush descends, and ten thousand civil servants drift homeward on a river of bicycles, brooding on Lord Krishna and the cost of living.” – James Cameron
Tradition quotes of India – Joint family system
The joint family system is another unique aspect of Indian culture. Though the country is tending towards nuclear families due to modernization, the respect towards guru & elders, and the importance given to parents and inlaws never fades from any Indian. The culture of sharing and the tradition of oneness is the secret behind the happy family system in India.
Here are some Indian cultural quotes that reflect the strength of the family system in India. They also depict how Indians give importance to their families:
- “You can take the Indian out of the family, but you cannot take the family out of the Indian.” – Amit Kalantri
- “If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.” – Romain Rolland
- “My family is my strength and my weakness.” – Aishwarya Rai
- “I noted that people are happy here in India. When I went back home, people had everything in the materialistic sense and were surrounded with abundance, but they were not happy.” – Goldie Hawn
- “India has been the most vibrant and colorful culture upon the earth for many millennia. Let us make it prosperous once again, as it is not just a Nation but a treasure to the world.” – Sadhguru
- “The percentage of Indian kids doing some sort of artistic work is much higher than in the general population – painting, drawing, dancing, singing. The creation of art is still an everyday part of Indian culture, unlike the dominant culture, where art is sort of peripheral.” – Sherman Alexie
- “‘Aaradhya’ means ‘one who is worthy of worship’. It was a name both Abhishek and I had always considered, but we threw it open to our extended family.” – Aishwarya Rai
- “At the halfway point of any drunken night, there is a moment when an Indian realizes he cannot turn back toward tradition and that he has no map to guide him toward the future.” – Sherman Alexie
- “It’s fine to live with your parents, because It’s also common in India, we don’t have to take appointments from the parents to meet for dinner” – Aishwarya Rai
India Culture Quotes – India’s Contribution to Modern Science
The Vedas of Hinduism are the sources of many hidden wonders. They offer solutions to many scientific and medical issues that trouble mankind. For instance, Atharvaveda has the mention and cure of coronavirus. Similarly, cancer and its cure find an early mention in Rigveda.
Many Indian mathematicians, scientists, and astrologers discovered fascinating aspects of space, maths, and science in the very olden times where there were no tools and specific equipment that modern science has now.
Zero is the greatest contribution of India to Mathematics. Similarly, ancient Indian physicists performed surgeries without using any modern equipment. The studies of celestial objects and the existence of aliens and life after Earth was already made by ancient Indian sages.
Modern scientists adore India for its marvelous contributions to science. Here are some of the popular message quotes on Indian science:
- “We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.” – Albert Einstein
- “Gravitation was known to the Hindus (Indians) before the birth of Newton. The system of blood circulation was discovered by them centuries before Harvey was heard of.” – P. Johnstone
- “The concept of zero is attributed to the Hindus. The Hindus were also the first to use zero in the way it is used today.” – Shakuntala Devi
- “There has been no more revolutionary contribution than the one which the Hindus made when they invented zero.” – Lancelot Hogben
- “Indian culture certainly gives the Indian mind, including the mind of the Indian scientist, the ability to think out of the box.” – Roland Joffe
- “After the conversations about Indian philosophy, some of the ideas of Quantum Physics that had seemed so crazy suddenly made much more sense.” – W. Heisenberg
- “Many of the advances in the sciences that we consider today to have been made in Europe were in fact made in India centuries ago.” – Grant Duff
- “Our present knowledge of the nervous system fits in so accurately with the internal description of the human body given in the Vedas (5000 years ago). Then the question arises whether the Vedas are really religious books or books on anatomy of the nervous system and medicine.”– Rele
- “The Hindu systems of astronomy are by far the oldest and that from which the Egyptians, Greek, Romans and – even the Jews derived from the Hindus their knowledge.” – Jean Sylvain Bailly
- “Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India.” – Mark Twain
India Tradition Quotes – Spirituality in Indian Life
In India, spirituality is a lot different than just following a religion. Spirituality in India is a way of living. The ancient texts of Indian culture similarly recognize an Atheist and Theist.
Hinduism does not force one to pray or follow certain rules. It guides a way of daily life. Buddhism, Jainism, and other religions too have a way similar to that of Hinduism.
To get the deep look of spirituality that India teaches, one should visit sacred places like Varanasi ghats, Mathura, Badrinath, Kedarnath. Thousands of temples in South India including Tirumala Tirupati and Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple in Trivandrum offer divine serenity to the devotees.
The Bhagavad Gita is the holiest book as per Hindu beliefs. Even the Supreme Court of India considers this as the epitome of self-consciousness and divinity.
The land of India offers immense peace and spiritual awareness to foreigners who visit India on a trip. No wonder they long to come back to India for experiencing the same feeling over and over.
Many foreigners settled in India in the search of eternal truth and exploring the spirituality that this divine land offers.
Some of the well-noted culture quotes of India that reflect the power of Indian spirituality are shared here:
- “When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous”. – Albert Einstein
- “The fundamental strength of Bharat is that we are a land of seekers – seekers of truth and liberation.”– Sadhguru
- “To other countries, I may go as a tourist, but to India, I come as a pilgrim.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “In India, you’re taught that there are certain qualities that make you a divine human being.” – Deepak Chopra
- “After a study of some forty years and more of the great religions of the world, I find none so perfect, none so scientific, none so philosophical and not so spiritual that the great religion known by the name of Hinduism. Make no mistake, without Hinduism, India has no future.” – Annie Besant
India Culture Quotes – Karma Quotes
Another major aspect of India in terms of spirituality is it is a Land of Karma – The Karma Bhoomi. The philosophy of Karma is now widely recognized by the whole world.
The principle of Karma had always been sternly believed by Hindus. Spirituality and submission of oneself to the Divine Power that Indians believe is a way to get free from Karma.
In simple terms Karma says – If you do Good, you get Good in return.
India culture quotes that depict the power of Karma are given here:
- “If before one’s next death whatever bad karma one has performed in this life with mind, words and body are not counteracted through proper atonement, according to the description of the dharma-shastras, one will certainly enter hellish planets after death. As an expert physician diagnoses and treats a disease according to its gravity, it’s recommended that one should undergo repentance according to the severity of one’s karma.” – Srimad Bhagavatam 6.1.7-8
- “When you praise someone, you take on their good karma. When you blame someone, you take on their bad karma.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- “In India, it is believed that all creatures have a purpose.” Mel Gibson
- “The apraarabdha karma, Kuta, bija, and praarabdha karma can be destroyed through Bhakti to Vishnu.” – Padma Purana
- “Anything which you do to someone comes back to you. That is the karma principle, very simple!” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
India culture quotes – Non-violence is the backbone
For some people, India might look like a land of poverty and illiteracy. But on the other hand, India is also an emerging power that is making its mark with its unique blend of ancient knowledge mixed with modern science.
Many situations in our lives depend on the way we perceive. And this holds quite good for appreciating this divine land too. Indians are living and ruling in foreign lands. But the feeling of the Indian-ness can never be removed from their heart.
Some culture quotes and tradition quotes of India that reflect the greatness and achievements of this mystical land are shared here:
- “India may be a land of over 100 problems, but it is also a place for a billion solutions.” – Kailash Satyarthi
- “India has an unbroken tradition of nonviolence from times immemorial.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “India is a very organic chaos, and that is its strength.” – Sadhguru
- “India is a democratic country & anyone can become a PM.” – Narendra Modi
- “India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border!” – Hu Shih
- “I kept on trying to use so many media and ideas in my work because our horizon is so vast and Indian culture is so rich that I think what we are today, culturally, we have a unique position and I don’t think one lifetime is enough to encompass it.” – M. F. Husain
- “So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.” – Mark Twain
- “The Sanskrit language, whatever be its antiquity is of wonderful structure, more perfect than the Greek, more copious than the Latin and more exquisitely refined than either.”– Sir William Jones
- “The Indian way of life provides the vision of the natural, real way of life. We veil ourselves with unnatural masks. On the face of India are the tender expressions which carry the mark of the Creators hand.”- George Bernard Shaw
- “To the philosophers of India, however, Relativity is no new discovery, just as the concept of light years is no matter for astonishment to people used to thinking of time in millions of kalpas” – Alan Watts
- “In writing of Indian culture, I am highly conscious of my own subjectivity; arguably, there is more than one Indian culture, and certainly more than one view of Indian culture.” – Shashi Tharoor
- “We, of all nations of the world, have never been a conquering race, and that blessing is on our head, and therefore we live….!” – Swami Vivekananda
- “It is not only a country and something geographical, but the home and the youth of the soul, the everywhere and nowhere, the oneness of all times.” – Herman Hesse
52. “Strong women, when respected, make the whole society stronger. One must be careful with such rapid changes, though, and make an effort to preserve, at the same time, the positive traditions of Indian culture.”– Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
The culture of a country is not a separate entity. It is present in every ounce of blood and reflects in the way of thinking and action. If we remember this every moment, the culture and traditions are always preserved and passed on. Jai Hind!
Related: Happy Diwali Quotes
Related: Yoga quotes for motivation