Durgam Cheruvu is like an oasis in Hyderabad. Amidst the concrete and glass buildings in the Madhapur and Knowledge city, this lake is a respite for nature lovers. It is a famous tourist place in Hyderabad for years. However, with the recent decision of the Telangana government to change its look, the lake obtained more beauty and prominence.
Let us take a close look at this famous tourist place in Hyderabad – its timings, entrance fees, things to do, and top places around it.
Where is Durgam Cheruvu?
This lake is a famous tourist place in Hyderabad. It is situated near Jubilee Hills and Madhapur. This lake is also called Secret Lake. As it appears to be hidden amidst the rocks of the surroundings. The place is serene and as we cross the gate of the Lakefront, you can observe that the whole noise of the city is cut. You only find serenity and peace in and around the lake premises. This place is a top choice for people residing nearby for walking and spending time with friends and family.
View of the bridge and InOrbit from the Lake Park
How to reach Durgam Cheruvu lake?
The lake is well connected by Hyderabad Metro, RTC buses, autos, and private cabs. You can reach the lake easily without any commute problems. From the airport, you can avail of direct cabs to reach this lake. From Secunderabad station, there are many metro buses and deluxe buses available to reach this Secret Lake.
The distance from this lake to major places in Hyderabad is as given below:
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (Shamshabad Airport): 32 km
- Secunderabad Railway Station: 16kms
- Nehru Outer Ring Road: 4 km
- Nampally: 13 km
- Hi-tech city: 2kms
- Shilparamam: 3 km
Durgam Cheruvu Timings
The lake is open from 5M to 9 AM. Then it is closed and reopens again at 4 PM till 9 PM.
Durgam Cheruvu Entrance ticket fees
- One time entry for adults – Rs.10
- Children below 5 years – Free
- Children from 5-12 years – Rs. 5
- Monthly walkers pass – Rs.200
- Annual Walkers pass – Rs.2000
- Annual Walkers pass for senior citizens – Rs.800
Durgam Cheruvu History
Hyderabad is a heritage city. Many places have history ranging from hundreds of years. This lake is not an exception from this fact.
The history of Durgam Cheruvu is interesting. This flat sheet of water was constructed by Nizam kings during 1518 and 1687 to arrange a source of drinking water for Hyderabad during the harsh Deccani summers. The freshwater from this lake was pumped to Golconda fort and Qutub Shahi tombs for usage.
Researchers observed the construction style of the original bund and concluded that it dates back to 500 years ago. The Geological Survey of India finds that the channel connecting the lake to the Golconda existed till a few years back. Now, this channel appears as patches of green in satellite images.
People who resided in Hyderabad in the 1970s remember visiting this lake for picnics. They recollect that this place was also an abode for wild animals in those days. The lake spans over 63 acres and the stones are said to be as old as 2500 million years ago.
Durgam Cheruvu Lakefront
This lake was under steady development periodically. The then AP government turned it into a popular tourist place of Hyderabad when IT was developed around its surroundings. Later, the lake was neglected and during recent years, it again gained its much-needed attention.
Today, the lake boasts with the state of art construction Durgam Cheruvu Flyover near it and a sprawling park that is attracting families and youth alike.
Best Time to Visit Durgam Cheruvu
Although Hyderabad places to visit are best visited in any season, you can enjoy this lake in winter better. Summers are getting hotter in this Capital city while rains may dampen your travel spirits. Any time between October to First Week of March will suit better for a visit to this place.
Durgam Cheruvu Bridge
The Durgam Cheruvu bridge was inaugurated on 25th September 2020. This is an extradosed bridge and adds an ultra-modern look to the already modern IT offices around this lake.
The Durgam Cheruvu bridge connects Jubilee Hills and the Financial District. It cuts down the heavy traffic and the travel time between these places.
The bridge glows with state of art decorating lamps at night. This is a popular tourist place in Hyderabad now. If you are visiting this place by car, you cannot stop on the Durgam Cheruvu bridge. Stopping on the bridge is prohibited.
However, you can park the car nearby and enjoy the up-close look of this modern bridge from the walkway that is provided for all those who want to walk on this bridge and take photographs.
Things to do Near Durgam Cheruvu Lake
This Secret Lake is now a popular tourist place in Hyderabad. After its recent renovation, there are many things to do near this lake.
Walking: The lake park is a popular walkers’ destination. You can also take the membership of the walker’s park which costs you only 200 rupees per month.
Boating: The lake is yet to open for boating. However, there is a boating facility available for visitors.
Children’s play area: There is a huge play area for children to play here. This is undoubtedly an affordable place to spend time with kids in Hyderabad. All the play zones are free and kids love to lose themselves in playing with the equipment here.
Open air gym: First of its kind in India, this park has an open-air gym. There are more than 30 pieces of equipment for doing weight training and aerobics. Fitness enthusiasts and health-conscious people can use this open-air gym without needing to spend heavily on private gyms.
Yoga point: A special yoga point is available on the premises for people who love doing yoga in the lap of nature.
Bird watching: This lake is a hub of many birds. One can spend the evenings and morning here peacefully watching the birds and relaxing in their chirping.
Botanical garden: The whole length of this park contains various trees that are imported and rare. Children will learn more about the plants and trees from the name boards given here. Another specialty of this park is the whole pavement is permeable. It lets the rainwater seep into the ground, one of its first kind in India.
There is a parking facility available in ample at the Durgam Cheruvu lakefront. Though there are no eateries inside the premises as of now, we can expect some to open soon as soon.
Places to see near Durgam Cheruvu Lake
This Secret Lake is amidst many popular tourist places in Hyderabad. The Knowledge City and the Hitech City are in their proximity. Besides, many famous tourist places in Hyderabad are very close to this popular tourist place of Hyderabad.
- Inorbit Mall: One of the popular shopping malls in Hyderabad and family hangout places, Inorbit Mall is just in front of the lake. It is a popular destination for shopping for brands, dining, and spending time with friends and family.
- KBR National Park: A popular tourist place in Hyderabad where Tollywood actors visit for walking and jogging. KBR Park is around 6 km from the lake. The beauty of the park must be witnessed in person.
- Puri Jagannath Temple: This temple is a replica of the Puri Jagannath temple in Odisha. The temple walls are full of paintings and carvings that show the various scenes from Bhagavatam. A must visit place for anyone who is on a trip to Hyderabad. This temple is 8 km away from here.
- Lotus Pond: A well-known tourist spot in Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad, Lotus Pond is famous for its natural beauty. This is another popular lake of Hyderabad that lets you relax in the lap of Mother Nature.
- Biodiversity Park: Another popular and latest landmark of Hyderabad, Biodiversity is near Raidurg. It is around 2kms from here. It is a huge park that showcases various aspects of biodiversity.
- IKEA store: At just 5 minutes from the lake, you can visit the IKEA store. IKEA is a popular lifestyle store from Sweden and this store became a modern landmark in these surroundings. The shopping complex is huge and there is a dining section available too.
- Shilparamam: This handicraft village is one of the popular tourist places in Hyderabad. A family outing destination in Hyderabad, your visit to this Biryani city is never complete without visiting Shilparamam. You can witness the traditional lifestyle of Telugu people here through various models that glow with life. This is also a place where you can buy handicrafts, pottery, and handlooms at good prices.
- Botanical Gardens: Another popular tourist place in Hyderabad, Botanical gardens is a conservatory of various species of plants. This is a famous picnic and educational tourist spot for children. The surroundings are peaceful and the place offers a serene ambiance to relax with dear ones. Botanical Gardens is around 5kms away from this place.
- Golconda: If you are on a full city trip to Hyderabad, you should not miss visiting Golconda. Located at 10kms away from this lake, Golconda takes a full day for its visit. This is one heritage monument of Hyderabad and a must visit tourist place in Hyderabad.
- Taramati Baradari: Another heritage monument of Hyderabad, Taramati Baradari is a famous tourist place of Hyderabad. It is around 12 kms from this lake.
Places to eat near Durgam Cheruvu
As of now, there are no eateries available in this park. However, there is no dearth of food options around. From Madras food to authentic Hyderabad menu, international cuisine to street food, you can find endless options around this lake.
Some of the popular places to eat near this Secret lake are mentioned here:
- Sambal: Famous for its pot biryani, you will never leave Sambal wanting to come back. It has the best Indonesian and Seafood options too.
- Dining in Inorbit Mall: Inorbit mall has many famous restaurants including Chutneys, Mad About China, Barbeques, Mughlai Flavors, Dialogue in the Dark, and Chat counters.
- Street food: Just a few minutes’ walk away from the lake, you can find many food bandis that serve steaming idlis, dosas, samosas, Mirchi bajjis, and Chinese food options too. The prices are very affordable and the taste and hygiene are also good.
Around this lake, there are many popular places for relaxing and enjoying with friends. Frost Bar and O2 spa are famous around this lake. You can also go on a walk and take a look at the mesmerizing IT offices all around the lake!
Shopping at Durgam Cheruvu
You can shop till you drop at Inorbit. Also, Shilparamam is another best option to shop near this popular tourist place in Hyderabad.